This project is designed to enhance Kenya’s prospects to access international sources of finance, in particular from the GCF, by offering technical support to the GoK to develop an investment-grade adaptation project pipeline and proposals, a country-driven approach with a long-term programmatic view.
- LTS is working with Trionomics to deliver this project, which has a value of GBP 249,865
- The project will deliver 2 concept notes and 1 proposal for funding from the Green Climate Fund (GCF)
The project is working closely with focal GCF government institutions in Kenya including the National Treasury and National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Kenya has a number of climate change policy and planning documents that require implementation but funding to do so is required. The project is aimed at seeking financing for the implementation of actions included in these documents, with a focus on channelling resources effectively for the implementation of adaptation activities identified in the NCCAP, Climate Change Bill and Framework Policy, National Adaptation Plan (NAP) and Kenya’s INDC.
LTS is leading the following activities:
- Skills enhancement and capacity building on identification and prioritisation of adaptation activities
- Developing national capacity to identify and access additional modalities of enhanced direct access to GCF funding
- Supporting lessons learning and knowledge sharing related to enhanced direct access to climate finance for adaptation investments
Economic and financial analysis for project investment.
Value and benefits
The project aims to assist Kenya access funds from international sources which could potentially support the Government to leverage domestic sources of funds and contribute to the country reaching its Vision 2030 goal of becoming a prosperous, newly industrialised, middle-income country with a high quality of life for all its citizens.