UNDP aimed to consolidate information of forest land use so that it can be utilised by all stakeholders in a combined effort to implement REDD+ projects in Indonesia. Through the Government activities and support of NGOs, CSOs, academics and national and international institutions involved in community mapping and related field work, important information has been gathered regarding the communities and businesses directly involved in land use during the 80s, 90s, and recently. Implementation of REDD+ is reliant on information about Indonesia’s current landscape including demographic data on the communities who use the land and cadastral maps regarding the land’s administrative and/or traditional boundaries. This information will enable REDD+ to facilitate communities in designing sustainable methods whereby they can share the benefits of forest conservation and enhancement of carbon stocks through afforestation and reforestation. The purpose of this assignment was to “coordinate the collection and assessment of data relevant to the requirements for REDD+ implementation”. The objectives of this assignment were as follows:
- Design and implement processes for Data collection, classification and analysis;
- Identify and analyse inconsistencies/incompleteness of Data and initiate processes to mitigate inconsistencies / incompleteness;
- Undertake a multi-Stakeholder process of review and endorsement of the Data;
- Share the Data to REDD+ policy makers, Stakeholders and interest groups;
- Identify and assess gaps in current institutional and individual capacities required to ensure institutionalisation of integrated Data;
- Design a process for establishing and/or strengthening the required institutional and individual capacities including the training programmes in the Province and relevant Districts;
- Conduct structured training and related capacity development activities in Data management for key Stakeholders;
- Support and build upon IMS/ICT systems for managing and maintaining Data in the Province;
- Ensure Data ownership within communities, local government and the provincial government of the Province; and
- Provision of information on forest cover and peat, deforestation, and other required data for calculation of reference emission level (REL).
LTS worked closely with Daemeter on this assignment.