The EC’s GCCA helps poor developing countries to increase their capabilities to adapt to the effects of climate change and to have their voice better heard in the international climate change negotiations. The LTS led consortium provides expertise in climate change to the ACP Secretariat to support its implementation of the Intra-ACP GCCA programme.
- This 5-year €1.2m project has embedded high level climate expertise in the ACP Secretariat in Brussels.
- The programme has implemented 48 country/regional level interventions across the ACP states.
Countries across Africa, Caribbean and the Pacific have been able to come together to better articulate and present their positions in international climate negotiations.
Climate change is of major concern to the ACP group of states. The joint ACP/EC declaration on climate change was agreed at the May 2009 Joint ACP-EU Council, agreeing assistance to ACP countries in addressing climate change. A Climate Support Facility (CSF) was established to channel GCCA funding support to ACP countries, guided by the ACP Secretariat. However, the ACP Secretariat itself has insufficient personnel to ensure adequate in-house capability in climate change to supervise the CSF and related climate support to ACP states.
In response, this contract has placed TA within the ACP Secretariat in Brussels, supporting its implementation of the GCCA programme and the CSF.
LTS provides a full-time climate change expert, and administrative and additional technical assistance. The team provides support to the ACP Secretariat and the wider GCCA, including:
- policy and institutional development and supervision of the CSF.
- development of a range of programmatic communication and M&E tools.
- advisory support on national climate strategies and international negotiations, development of a work programme of technical assistance to ACP countries and regions and responding to requests to the ACP Secretariat for technical assistance.
Dr. Pendo Maro, the LTS climate change expert based in the ACP Secretariat, speaks about the services that the Intra-ACP GCCA programme offers here. Additional information can also be found on the capacity4dev.eu website.
Value and benefits
The LTS team helps to ensure the ACP Secretariat remains well informed about climate issues so that it can support ACP countries and institutions. The TA support ensures that the programme offers demand driven and coordinated support to countries facing pressures to adapt to climate change and to better articulate their positions in international negotiations.