With an extensive track record in development in the forestry, land use, natural resources management sectors, we are well placed to respond to REDD+, and have a good track record in doing so. We have in-house staff with core knowledge, experience and expertise on REDD+ readiness activities, strategy development, institutional development, measurement, reporting and verification, piloting and other issues and incentives associated with forest-based climate change mitigation.
LTS’s practical work on REDD+ implementation is best demonstrated by our ability to deliver a range of services, including:
- Upstream REDD+ policy support – we support the design and implementation of readiness frameworks and strategies under the (FCPF, UNREDD), design investment strategies (FIP), and advise on the development of national and subnational reference levels/reference emission levels and MRV systems, conduct opportunity cost and other cost assessments important for REDD+ readiness.
- Building REDD+ institutional capacity – we improve capabilities to serve REDD+ focal points via greater access to relevant information, international policy and technical assistance.
- Legislative analysis – we provide advice and analysis to ensure developers have an in-depth understanding of domestic law and policy from a project development and investment perspective where rights, interests, and benefit sharing are paramount.
- Detailed project design - we provide advisory services related to every step of forest carbon project design and implementation.
- Project identification - Preliminary assessment of project eligibility, additionality, GHG emissions reduction potential and economic viability.
- Project feasibility assessment- Identification of baseline and eligible AFOLU and REDD+ methodologies, assessment of leakage threat and other risks, barrier analysis and environmental and social impacts); and
- Project design / implementation- Design and development of forest carbon projects to validation under voluntary standards.
- Reference scenarios – we can support development of “business as usual” reference scenarios based on historic data and / or modeled approaches, taking account of national circumstances.
- Measurement, Reporting and Verification – we design and support to MRV framework development and implementation processes by analysing the cost-benefit of different approaches and collaborating with key institutions to deliver forest monitoring and inventory, land cover and land use change, and mapping services. Broader forest monitoring, e.g. in relation to safeguards aspects including environmental, biodiversity and social impacts is also undertaken.
- Benefit sharing mechanisms – we work with project partners to build stable, sustainable REDD+ related benefit sharing systems designed to enhance the long-term economic security of the poor.
- Fund management structures – our services in this area include designing and managing climate investment funds such as the Congo Basin Forest Fund, and monitoring and evaluating large-scale REDD+ investments such as the Norwegian International Climate and Forest Initiative.
- Capacity assessments – we assess REDD+ strategy implementation frameworks, in terms of capacity requirements, financial support needed, and gaps existing with regard to potentially available resources.
- Private sector engagement and compliance support – we help private companies understand the REDD+ regulatory requirements and opportunities which inform sound sustainability practice.
- Monitoring and evaluation – we assess the impact, relevance, effectiveness and sustainability at REDD+ policy, initiative, programmatic and project levels.
LTS has in-house GIS capacity to investigate forest cover change through development of multi-layered maps that will assist in the analysis of drivers and causes of forest cover change in the country.
, Central African Republic
, Democratic Republic of Congo
, Sierra Leone
, Sri Lanka
, United Kingdom